I had a blast with Katy Tynan from indieworking.com! Katy had a background in consulting before entering the world of freelancing. The change in lifestyle was a welcome one for Katy, but she has experienced certain challenges when defining her job title.
I’m sure you’ve all been there: you’re at a party or a networking event. You’re in a group of people talking and the inevitable question arises:
“So, what do you do?”
You pause while you read the room and decide just which answer to give.
What do you say? What are your reactions if/when you tell people you are a freelancer? Join the Conversation.
We discuss the following topics/themes in this episode:
- Going from consultant to freelancer
- Why does the term ‘freelancer’ get a bad rap?
- The “quiet assumption” or even stigma of freelancing
- Being a girl in IT
- Free Agent FTW
- Amanda Palmer’s TED talk
- How going to public school can make you scrappy and resourceful and learn how to be self-sufficient
- How being a free agent automatically makes you a role model
- Tiny houses
- Planning your life around a big life goal instead of conforming to expectations
- Designing your life
- Collaboration vs competition
Read Katy’s article “Please Don’t Call me a Freelancer” in New Worker Magazine
Visit Katy’s website www.indieworking.com
On Twitter @katytynan